Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pearce Cemetary + The Thing

After the festival, we walked over to the old cemetary to hear tales of men long ago. Jim Olsen has lived in the area for 40 years and actually know quite a bit about the individuals marked. The rock with lots of holes was used by miners to test their drilling tools.



Headstones were marked by all kinds of interesting shapes including pipes and old hitches for crosses.





This headstone marked Adam Wade Kidd "murdered." Unfortunately for this poor soul, his wife convinced him to pick up a hitchhiker who turned out to be his wife's lover. They had conspired against him and killed him. The wife's lover ran off and was never punished for the crime.



While I checked for each of you, I only found one Careerian with long lost, heroic relatives from Pearce, Arizona. Markus, who exactly were these Schafer's and what did he do in WWII?



Billboards across AZ promoted a site called "The Thing." I, being the sucker that I am, paid my $1 to peruse the museum with The Thing. I followed the yellow footprints....saw artifacts from around the world....and left wondering what was The Thing? I think it was some unlabeled artifact that looked like a mummified Chinese man.









No comments: