Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Evacuation

I went to training today in Indy. Frankly, it was less than helpful. Other than learning compared to other programs we're doing great and listening to everybody complain about the changes for 2009-2011 service contracts with the state, I really was left wondering if it was worth it. I'm hopeful tomorrow will offer solutions to my running list of supervisor questions I willingly slapped on a piece of large, poster paper and gave to the trainers.
But, by far, the highlight occurred around 3 p.m. Sitting in a room with 20 other professionals trained in crisis intervention, we had our own mini crisis event! Right at the downtown Government Center of Indianapolis to boot! We're sitting and discussing the importance of 24/7 availability when.....BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! over a speaker system.
Trainer 1 questions: "What is that?"
Trainer 2, laughing: "It's a bomb!"
pause....more....BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Finally a voice, too automated to be the voice of God, declares, "There is a serious danger present on your floor of the building. Please proceed immediately to the nearest stairway and evacuate the building."
This message continues to be repeated as we and several other hundred people file past the Indiana State Police and metal detectors.
After 10 minutes or so, we were all shuffled back into the building.
No word on what the evacuation was for only reports it had been occurring frequently.
As we filed out, I told my colleagues, "Well, I guess I know what my next blog is about."

No comments: