Saturday, October 4, 2008

Out with the Old...

I was so excited Thursday morning. It was to be a crisp fall day and I was rummaging through the closet to revive an outfit nested away from last winter. I found my black and white plaid pants that are just a bit too long. No problemo! A shoe with a heel would remedy this dilemma and the fall dressing festivities could continue. What did my little eye spy but a substantially heeled, black patent leather pair having be unused since last winter too! Yippie! I discarded thoughts on having to deshoe everytime I would go through the metal detectors because I really wanted to break out the patent leather. They would provide just the right amount of extra confidence to withstand my 11+ hour day.
Well, I arrived at work, set up tasks for the intern, and began 3 supervisions. During the second supervision, I looked down to realize my patent leather shoes were...cracking.
"Bummer," I thought, "Another keeper that has wore it's way to the discard pile." Out loud to my coworker I lamented, "Oh no, my shoe is cracking! I suppose it's only right. I have had them since 7th or 8th grade. There over 15 years old."
"15 years old? Wow, that's something." I thought. "I'm going to miss them."
Throughout the day, I continued to look down to see the cracks converging and the leather starting to peel away from the sides of the toe.
"Please hold up," I thought, "I do not have time today to go home to get new shoes. It's a good thing isn't not raining or my feet would be wet with these holes emerging."
While with my 6-7 year olds, I shared my shoe problems to which they promptly solved my problem reporting, "Go buy new ones."
I replied, "But I like these just the way they are."
6-7 yo's: "So buy new ones just like it."
Me: "I can't there over 15 years old."
They still didn't get the concept of I can't replace them.
By the time I finally left the office, whole sections of the toe area were missing chucks of leather which fell off in scattered clumps on the carpet.
As of today, the shoes are in the trash. No need to try to make them last. They have done well...may they rest in peace.
And, note to self,
1. check shoes before leaving the house for cracks.
2. discard shoes prior to age 15.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Those were some OLD shoes!

Abby :) said...

I know! Can you believe they lasted?