Monday, October 13, 2008

Friends in High Places

Can I just begin by stating that I have had my driver's license for over 12 years now and have yet to be pulled over by the police? Ummm...well...that was what I could've declared prior to Saturday at about 5:30 p.m. when I indeed recieved my first official stopping by the local blue and white.

Let my clarify that in my defense I was quite preoccupied. My mom was following me and I was hoping she did not miss her route to attend Lance's Fall Rumble. Being somewhat unfamiliar with the West Lafayette rules of the road, I apparently failed to observe the 30 mph posted sign. Also, I am driving my new car which just begs to go a little faster than you probably should in it.

So as I'm cruising up to the Feast with pumpkin bread and german potatoe salad as my passenger, I see the flashing lights behind and think, "Oh great!"
Well, low and behold, as I lean out to look at who will be writing me up I see a familiar face. It's Dan! That's right, Dan is Eric's (middle bros) former roommate and also my former roommate's husband.

He approaches and I say, "Hey Dan....You going to give me a ticket?"
He said, "No...but I wondered why somebody was smiling when I was coming up here."
He went on to clarify I was not just a little over the speed limit and asked about my whereabouts for the evening. We catched on and I was able to congratulate them on the upcoming arrival of their first baby before cruising on.

My new-found revelations from this incident include....
1. Who knew I was in the know with somebody who could keep me out of trouble? I actually have friends in high places. What a blessing!
2. Drive slower in West Lafayette and I won't need another blessing.

3 comments:

The Rock Star said...

I would have loved to see the look on Dan's face when he realized it was you!

Mel Eik said...

That is SO not fair. I have met more of Lafayette's finest than I care to admit and none of them are usually so generous... sigh...

Sage Merecat said...

I find it ironic that both abby and myself have our first pulled over moments in the same year.