Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I didn't get the day I wanted, Go Fish.

You know those moments you have when you think to yourself, "Man...it's kindda been a rough day. Just wanna grab some stuff (like a big bottle of Tylenol for the massive headache you can feel coming on and some cheese so the bro can survive on quesadillas til kingdom comes) and make it back to the homestead without people interaction. Clearly, today was not to be one of those days.
So I managed to make it in Walmart, grab my tremendous bottle of Tylenol (yes even I succomb to the drug world to battle the headache occasionally) because I'm not going to pay twice as much for a small one and make my way to secure cheese. On my way back to the checkout, I think, "hmmm... not really about cooking tonight and what will the bro eat in the next 48 hours before we leave to Illinois?" The obvious answer is of course "Pizza!" so I select the biggest pizza I can find and continue on to checkout paradise. While heading to the homestretch, I see Emily, friend of the Jonelly.
Emily is stocked with fancy recipes to cook the mostest for her honey and cordially points out me that the bro and I must be dining on the fabulous goodness that is a ....pizza. (I couldn't help but think how ironic this is since I'm hardly ever 1. buying something on the fly and 2. not making dinner from scratch.) Feeling a little awkward with my big bottle of legal pain suppressants and cheese, the moment was not to be better.
Rounding the corner are more of Jonelly's friends, Bill, Summer and girls. Loaded in two carts with a few more sensible items than myself, we also converse. Bill notes I must be having pizza to which I replied in the affirmative. Lilly, Bill and Summer's oldest declares, "Fish."
Glancing in the cart, I see she indeed is travelling around with a live, plastic bag encapsulated fish. I note the fish and ask if it's a new fish. Bill and Lilly said the last fish "melted." Now, I work with kids and I've yet to hear this verdict on the little flippers. I also have a brother who typically resides with some finned friends and have not hear of this demise from him either.
"Melted," I query. "Did the water heat up too much?"
Bill explains that no the fish did not die from heat but that the last fish met his match with the porcelain resting place; however, Lilly doesn't quite grasp the whole "death" concept. Clearly, Bill and Summer have opted for the close second to the Biblical view of departure....the melting explanation which apparently kids take to like...well, like fish to water.
So all is well with the world. Lilly is very excited to announce to strangers that flippy died from melting, I got a little dose of humility with my large pizza and drug stash, and the Pool's are dining on a feast tonight.

No comments: