Saturday, August 30, 2008

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Tuesday will mark my first solo feat of screening potential interventionists to join our small but growing team. I am still quite amazed that we have no system of set questions by which to stack up one contestant against the next. Feeling the pressure to do a good job, especially since I'll primarily be the one to manage any new staff fiascos, I implore your brilliance, past experiences, and thoughtful input on these questions of the day,
"What questions should one ask in an interview?"
"Is there a philosophical approach one should have when interviewing?"
And for humor's sake,
"What are the worse interview questions you have ever been asked?"
Thank you friends for your much anticipated participation. =)

1 comment:

The Rock Star said...

Kimberly-Clark's interview process was very much like a normal (though one-sided) conversation.

The guy started out telling me a bit about the company and what sort of things they do there. He, of course, had my resume. So, he knew my background. He asked which of those areas of the chemistry would interest me. We chatted about that for a while. Then, he went into the questioning portion of the interview.

He asked questions that always had a "tell me when you demonstrated this quality" end point. Leadership, for example, was one of the topics. I do not remember the others specifically, but I do remember they all (or almost all) led me back to an InterVarsity circumstance as a personal illustration.

I would say it is also important that the person can interact with you "normally". If the person is a bit "off", they are probably always going to be a bit weird like that. Your clients need to be able to relate to the worker. So, I would say if they cannot be chatty with you they are not going to be good with the clients. At least, I would think so. I suppose an interview setting could be a bit nerve racking, though.

If you want to chat more, you know where I live, sleep, eat, etc. Find me! ;)