Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Recent Random Thoughts and Funny Somethings....

As you might have gathered from the title of this blog, I couldn't find a good way to categorize this posting so it shall be an official hodge-podge of 411 to you reader. In no particular order....
1. The coworkers and I enjoyed a great day of critical thinking training. I am always delighted to walk in and see Stephanie, Texas' resident HB (HB= Homebuilders) guru, leadning the group and knowing I will learn some very helpful things to apply to my job. We had an interesting discussion about how our values sometimes clash with family's values, ways to address cognitive distortions, and what typically makes for a good critical thinker. It was really all about "Thinking about Thinking." Along with the good training, I enjoyed catching up with collegues since we typically work solo in homes we don't get 1:1 time very often to just catch up. Perhaps the quote of the day was my fellow coworker while we were comparing and discussing workplace dress codes. She said, "You could be naked and fit in great there." Hilarious! She was referencing a social service location in Lafayette. NOTE: Apparently you need to be aware of what's lerking in Lafayette and be thankful that people come to your workplace dressed.
2. So the power was out at the Rockin Refuge for several hours on Sunday. I am always reminded that as much as I think I'm not technologically reliant, I clearly must be since I walked around the house for 20 minutes debating what I could possibly do with the rest of my evening. Jonell and I opted for a game but then I took a phone call and she fell asleep. Left to my own devices, I ended up photo logging my closet favs with a flashlight. (It's surprisingly dark in there). Hence, the long blog as we watched Survivors be informed they weren't surviving anymore.
3. Wasn't P.V'S sermon good on Sunday? I've actually be thinking alot about his sermon from several weeks ago on God's ability to exhibit compatiblism lately. Anybody else been thinking about that? It really blows your mind...but that's what great about the Lord. He's mind-blowing!
4. Apparently, Jonell caught the neighbor kids setting up a brigade with the stones I put at the end of my drive to compensate for the neighbors running over my sprinkler head and creating ruts off the edges. How am I going to stop that one? Any ideas?
5. Funny story from my supervisor today...she was at home going to get the mail and saw a snake making his way at her yard. Given that she's extremely fearful of snakes, she promptly hopped in her van and proceded to run over the snake over and over and over again. She later informed me she's leaving him to bake in the sun. I believe there's some well-done snake meat for the taking in Capilano for any of you outbackers with a strong palette.
6. Have any of you noticed how the people you are around really help you notice things about yourself to work on? I was sitting in a group today with 4 other women I'd never met before and was reminded how challenging it is to work in our field, do a good job, and retain a softer side at times. What I mean is, here are several other Christian ladies that have worked 8+ years in social work and it's so easy to lose that God-given femininity while dealing with some really tough people and problems.
I wondered, "Do they take this in-charge attitude home to their families each night? Do I? How am I really presenting myself in the workplace? Am I allowing workplace expectations and situations to shape me over following God's design and character development?" Hmmmmm....food for thought....

No comments: