Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Running with the Turkeys

Hiking at Turkey Run on Memorial day was a great experience. We enjoyed only slight sprinkles and most tourists weren't on the longer trails. Managing to hike over 4 hours, it was a worthy excursion. Can't wait to go again!!


Saw some critters at the nature center.


Large tree uprooted


Skipping rocks on the river. Boehm was definitely the best.


Birds had made their nests up on the sides of the bridge


Covered bridge...remember no running allowed on the bridge!


Beautiful deep blue male indigo bunting in the forest


Canoers on the river


floral in the forest


The day hikers, not to be confused with thru-hikers, as Jeremiah reminded us. He actually made sure we all had hiking names. He, of course, was Shepherd. Lance was Sweet Action courtesy of his attire that day. Jen was LJ taken from her Lafayette Jeff pull-over. I was A&W, referencing my initials. Boehm was Shutter as he can be found toting his trusty camera. Eric was Sage Meerkat formerly appointed from his time at Ridgecrest, NC.


So at one point, we were all in the icebox and we heard a low moaning sound. Eric called us back to look into a crevice where he indicated a fox was. Telling me to see the ears, I continued to peer in but to no avail. I flashed a camera shot in there and here's what I recorded. Looks like rocks to me so I think Eric's new trail name should aptly be FoxTrot in honor of his Fox hunting.


Low lying purple flowers clustered all across parts of the forest








Lance found a tulip bloom on the ground

Lance also discovered a toad. When we were over at the bridge, another toad was discovered. I told someone to take a look and two of the park rangers informed us it was a poisonious barrel toad. I replied that I thought most poisonious frogs and toads had bright colors. They were disappointed I did not fall for their prank and said I'd be surprised how few people know that little bit of info. Apparently my award from 8th grade deeming me the class "Nature Nut" still applies.

No comments: